This is a common problem when installing Magento. The background of the problem is that Magento can´t store cookies when you run it on localhost. The easiest way to solve this is to tell the code not to do this controlls. To do this you just have to comment a couple of lines in the ”Varien.php” file. Just follow the checklist and it will work:
- Open file ”app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Session/Abstract/Varien.php”
- Find where the ”$cookieParams” array is set, in version 126.96.36.199 it is line #78
- Comment lines 81, 82 and 83 (in version 188.8.131.52)
- Should look like this:
- If it´s in line #78 in your file, just search for ”cookieParams” and you will find it.
- Now just go to the administration login page and login with your username and password
PS! If you are new to Magento and this is you first login, I suggest that you read the post ”Show categories and products in Magento”, it might save you some time (and frustration) =)